Search our content

Home  /  Arriving/Leaving  /  Vehicles



    Bldg. 210
   065 44 4638


Mon – Thu : 0845 – 1700

Fri : 0845 - 1300

You must register all vehicles used or located in Belgium within 3 months of the vehicle being imported in Belgium, or procurement in Belgium. It is also mandatory to de-register any vehicle upon your permanent departure from SHAPE.

The registration can be requested for a maximum period of 3 (three) years starting at the end of the month of the registration date.

For de-registration book an appointment at the “Fast Line”, not at “Vehicle” line.

Technical Inspection (Controle Technique)


- Vehicle is older than 4 years

- When selling a car (CT will be valid for two months)

- Transfer of Ownership

- Trailers (>750 Kg) and caravans must pass CT after their first registration in Belgium

Which documents?

- Original registration document

- Certificate of conformity

- Previous CT Attestation

- Insurance Card

Where? (Always By Appointment)

- 087/393949

- (Website for Wallonia)

- (Specific page for the MAISIERES station, closest to SHAPE)

- (Website for Brussels, only available in French and Dutch)

- (Website for Flanders, only available in Dutch)

- (Website for Flanders, only available in Dutch)

Remark: Yon can choose the station of your choice, not necessarily the one closest to your home or work place.

Vehicle Licence Plate costs

You will receive your new vehicle licence plate normally ten days after the application has been processed. The rear plate, registration fee and administration cost is 35€ and must be paid only in cash the day of the initial application.  

Plaque Normal

(52 cm x 11 cm) (20.47 in x 4.33 in) 
Front plate: 10€ Total cost for both plates 45€

Plaque Carré

(34 cm x 21 cm) (13.38 in x 8.26 in)  
Front plate 20€ Total cost for both plates 55€

Plaque Special

(27 cm x 16 cm) (10.62 in x 6.29 in) Front plate 20€ Total cost for both plates 55€. For this plate you need an exemption, stamped and signed by the Controle Technique (CT) office on the pink form Demande D’immatriculation d'un vehicle in box X10. This is because this type of plate is normally for a motorcycle.

Road Tax

In Belgium you need to pay road tax for each vehicle in your possession (also for motorcycles more than 50 cc). As a SHAPE member (not Belgian) you are free from road tax for one vehicle. In case you have more vehicles, you are free from road tax for the vehicle with the highest road tax amount. Once your vehicles are registered under the SHAPE system, you will yearly receive a bill in order to pay the road tax. If you sell your vehicle or you leave SHAPE during that year, it is important to give back your license plate to the SHAPE, in order to comply with the Belgian legislation, and in that case, the license plate being deregistered, you will get a refund (on the bank account you pay the road tax with).

For any questions or remarks on your invoice, please send an email to: or call the following number:      +32 (0)81 330 301

Rental Car Fuel Ration

While you await your vehicle being imported or registered in Belgium, sponsors are entitled to receive 30 days temporary fuel rations for the rental vehicle. The rental car contract must be valid for a minimum of 30 days to receive a temporary ration Fuel card. To receive it, you must bring the following documents to the Family Support and Central Processing Branch- Registration Section (Bldg 210, rm 109-110):
  • Rental car contract must be on the sponsor's name
  • Vehicle registration documents (found in vehicle)
  • SHAPE I.D. card

Search our content:


Rue Grande
7010 Mons

Base Support Group

Attn: Office of Communication & Community Affairs
B-7010 SHAPE